places to go and people to see

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Holidays

Holidays are hard.
I love Christmas. I do, I love it so much.
So December 26th is a hard day to wake up on because I know that I have to wait another three hundred and sixty four days for Christmas to come around again.
When I say 'hard' it's really more like 'harddddd' with all five of those d's, because it's not just that day, it's the next and the next and the next and then, on the thirtieth, I realize, oh. It's going to be 2013 in two days. It'll be a new year and a fresh start.
So when January first comes, it's even worse. Not only do I have to wait three hundred and fifty whatever days for Christmas, but nothing is different. The weather is exactly the same as yesterday's. I am the same age, plus one day, I probably haven't grown a significant amount, and neither has anyone else. Nothing is different, and yet our society treats it like an entirely new entity that we have to treat delicately, like it's breakable and it could go so wrong it would destroy us all when really,
really?
It won't be that different from last year.
The only thing different is one little digit in the date, and the fact that we have started a new cycle of orbiting around the sun which - if I may point out - we have nothing to do with.
The idea of a "new year" is kind of futile. Things are just the same as they were before.
It's just astrology/nomy (IDK which, whatever) and it doesn't matter anyway.
I'm surrounded by the same people.
It's not like it's going to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment